Upon voting to put Proposition R on the ballot in April 2016, the Board directed that, should the effort be passed by voters, any savings identified and/or additional funds raised during the course of construction be utilized to fund other needs identified in the facilities research conducted prior to the bond referendum but not included in the scope of the original project.
At this time, the original project is projected to come in approximately $4.5 million under budget. This was not completely unexpected, as significant contingencies were built into the project due to the age of the existing structures and a favorable bidding market for some of the larger work categories.
In addition, the Ladue Education Foundation has raised nearly $2 million to enhance many of the features of the new facility. The cost of the expansion is currently being estimated. However, initial projections indicate a significant portion of these additional components can be accommodated by the additional funding currently identified.
Project components being considered for the Project Expansion phase include:
- Improvements to the northwest section of the high school, including the expansion of the Nielson Gymnasium lobby, restrooms, concessions area, and fitness center
- Development of a new multi-purpose turf field
- A competition track and field event areas
- Grandstand with press box and viewing area
|Research and Due Diligence||Sept. and Oct. 2017|
|Cost and Design Refinement||Oct. 2017|
|Community Input||Nov. 2017|
|Determination on Whether to Proceed||Dec. 2017|
|Construction||Feb. to Aug. 2018|
|Opening of Field||Aug. 6, 2018|
Research and Due Diligence
The district is currently engaged in a number of areas of research regarding the potential expansion of the high school renovation project.
- Sewer System. A Metropolitan St. Louis Sewer District (MSD) lateral line runs through the portion of the campus on which the current field resides and where a new field is also being proposed. Although MSD anticipates abandoning the lateral line as part of the sanitary relief project they are currently planning, MSD’s project would still have major implications for the expansion project, if it were to move forward, making continued coordination with MSD vital.
- Core Samplings. Samples of the ground upon which an artificial turf field will be built are required. This testing is currently underway and will indicate whether or not any substantial challenges are anticipated in the installment of an artificial turf field due to unfavorable subsoil conditions.
- FEMA/MSD Flood Study. The City of Ladue will require studies to be conducted to determine whether or not the proposed second phase of construction will alter the velocity or rise of Deer Creek (located behind the high school campus).
- Sound Study. AcoustiControl has been engaged to perform a sound study based on the anticipated configuration of the renovated stadium. The data collected by AcoustiControl will provide a sound map similar to the results shown here to indicate the decibel levels at various points on and around the proposed stadium. The sound system installed will be high quality and installed so as to mitigate the extent of “sound spill” beyond the stadium.
- Light Study. Similarly, McClure Engineering has been engaged to perform a study of lights to be used on the field in the evening. Any lights utilized on the proposed stadium would be:
In addition, both the sound and light systems would be used only on a pre-scheduled and pre-approved basis, and this schedule would be made available to the public. Linked here is the Proposed 2018-19 School Year Field Use Schedule which includes the estimated number of spectators anticipated at each event. When reviewing, please also note the following:
- A combination of both lights and sound are anticipated to be used less than 20 times per year.
- No light or sound systems will be used during summer break.
- No light or sound systems will be used during December, January and February.
As this project progresses, please return here for up-to-date and accurate information about this project. If you have questions or concerns, please let us know by calling 314-994-7080 or emailing us at email@example.com.